Associates in the Plate Mounter position are responsible for Mounting Plates for the Flexographic Printing Presses to produce quality flexible packaging materials on time in accordance with specific work instructions and applicable safety and quality assurance procedures.In the event of absence, these job responsibilities will be covered by another employee in the Plate mounter position.
Responsibilities and Duties:
This job description and performance standard document has been prepared as a guide to ensure better communication and understanding. All responsibilities, however, have not been included, nor could they be. Your Supervisor/Manager may from time to time ask you to perform other related duties not specifically included in this description. Likewise, this description will be revised when required to meet current business needs.
- Checks all equipment at the beginning and end of each shift to ensure good housekeeping is maintained, documents housekeeping as required, and contacts Maintenance whenever equipment is not running properly. Completes preventative maintenance on machinery and equipment as assigned, and assists Maintenance with repairs.
- Clocks in and out of orders as required by department, and accurately records own time in the system with the appropriate activity classifications.
- Works proactively and with a sense of urgency utilizing the schedule to determine which job should be mounted next and when that job will be needed.
- Thoroughly reviews and understands the entire Job Ticket and Traveler, and verifies that all cylinders, sticky-back and plates are available before proceeding with a job set-up. Any discrepancies or points of confusion must be addressed, clarified, and formally revised, if necessary, with the Shift Leader before proceeding with the job.
- Assures Job History sheets are in job packet. Job Histories document the essential elements of the mounting process and the key press run parameters including anilox rolls, deck location of colors, ink viscosity settings, tension settings, dryer temperatures, run speeds, etc.. Initiates a Job History if one is not in the Job Traveler.
- After setting up machine, and applying sticky-back to the cylinder, mounts the plates exact and precise as the job dictates to allow the pressman trouble-free registration on the press.
- Must be willing to share their knowledge with less-experienced Mounters and Press Operators.
- Checks out the completed proof to insure accurate copy, layout, impression, and registration.
- Ensures that all responsibilities and functions performed are in accordance with company and quality procedures as set forth in the Personnel Handbook and the Quality Manual. Participates in quality programs and stays updated on changes to the Quality Manual.
- Supports the company emphasis on teamwork and cooperation to achieve our goals by performing other duties as assigned including working in other departments from time to time and helping with periodic AIB cleanup issues.
- Generates improvement ideas and embraces improvement projects for the continuous betterment of the company.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Detail-orientation required for completing required paperwork and information systems inputs with a high degree of accuracy.
- Previous mounting/press experience and mechanical aptitude/experience is highly preferred.
- Job experience in an industrial production environment with the related safety training is preferred.
- Able to read and understand job tickets, and accept verbal direction to successfully complete procedures and assigned tasks.
- Capable of performing mathematical calculations, and properly using tape measures and micrometers. Ability to understand Geometry, and convert circumference of a cylinder to diameter and how to achieve the proper pitch diameter of the cylinder/gear by combining BCD of cylinder with sticky-back, plate thickness, sleeve (when available), and build up if necessary, strongly preferred.
- Flexibility in work assignments and priorities is required to address the dynamic needs of our customers and shifts in production requirements.
- Good verbal and written communication skills required, and proven experience with effective teams and continuous improvement methods strongly preferred.
Working Conditions and/or Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to lift and ensure proper handling of items up to 75 pounds.
- Must be capable of standing for the duration of a work shift less breaks and lunch.
- Must be capable and willing to work in excess of a normal workweek with notice, as outlined in the Personnel Handbook, as production demands dictate.
- Must be able to distinguish and ensure product quality in a fast paced production environment.
- Must be able to identify, prioritize, and meet multiple expectations for area of responsibility.
- Must have the physical dexterity to bend, stand, flex, and reach as the position dictates.
- Must be able to satisfactorily see and differentiate color per adopted assessment methods in order to support efficient press set-ups and good print quality.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Willingness to be trained in the proper handling and disposal of Hazardous waste.
Education RequiredHigh School Diploma or GED